Successful Parking Design and Planning
|OnDemand Webinar||$149||Add to Cart|
Instill lasting value in your parking structure by applying thoughtful, creative, innovative design.A parking structure is one of the dominant and driving forces in real estate, impacting the success of commercial development and significantly affecting the built environment. Not only is it critical that the appropriate parking solution is implemented for the immediate success of any planned development, but a parking structure also affects the future surrounding development and land use for many years into the future. Shifts in demographics and generational priorities, including trends in the live/work/play balance, and innovations in technology related to personal transportation, are changing the growth patterns in our urban areas. These shifts have led to questions regarding the future of the parking structure. This course will review the history of the parking structure, including the reasons for its development as a building type, identify trends that will shape transportation and parking into the near future, and propose ideas on how the parking structure will continue to evolve. This material will help you determine the ultimate form of the garage, inform the operation of the garage, and ensure the garage will be ready to meet the needs of future demand.
AuthorsMichael T. App, AIA, LEED AP, ParkSmart Advisor, THA Consulting, Inc.
What Does It Mean to Achieve Success With Parking Design and Planning?
• The Facility Is Right-Sized
• The Facility Is Safe, Convenient, and Comfortable
• The Construction and Operation of the Facility Are Affordable
• The Facility Is Environmentally Sensitive and Anticipates Future Trends
• The Facility Economically Activates the Street on Which Is It Located, Creates a Sense of Place Is Aesthetically Attractive, and Fosters Foot Traffic
• The Facility Is Well Utilized by the Intended User
• Internal Circulation Patterns Are Clear and Distinct, and the Facility Provides a Connection Between Various Transportation Modes
• The Physical Structure Is Durable and Provides the Amenity for the Intended Duration
How Does a Parking Planner Program and Design the Parking Facility to Create a Successful Layout?
• Properly Determining the Amount of Parking Required
• Properly Sizing the Parking Spaces, Drive Aisles, and Column Spacing
• Properly Locate the Driving Ramps and Use the Most Beneficial Ramping Style
• Properly Select the Correct Parking Access and Revenue Control Equipment
How Does a Parking Planner Create a Parking Facility That Appeals to the User?
• Exterior Architectural Treatments
• Interior Enhancements
• Safe and Inviting
• Easy to Navigate for Automobiles and Pedestrians
How Does a Parking Planner Create a Facility That Has a Long Lifespan?
• Good Structural Design/Durability Design
• Recommended Maintenance Procedures
• Planning for the Future Parking Demand
How Does a Parking Planner Create a Facility That Is Financially Viable?
• Properly Determining the Amount of Parking/Facility Required
• Properly Designing the Functional Layout to Create an Efficient Footprint
• Estimating the Construction Costs and Monitoring the Decisions During the Design Process That Will Impact That Cost Estimate